4-H REAL MEDIA
Brief Program Description
4-H REAL Media:
- increases your knowledge of advertising techniques used to sell alcohol, tobacco, and other drug products;
- develops your skills in counter-arguing and critical-thinking in response to ATOD messages;
- helps you to apply these skills and techniques to create your own anti-substance use messages.
The activities are designed to be engaging and challenging. They encourage you to reflect and offer your thoughts via open-ended questions and opportunities to further explore your interests. Each module ends with an interactive challenge that allows you to apply your new skills.
4-H REAL media is a digital adaptation of the face-to-face Youth Message Development (YMD) program that receives a rating of EFFECTIVE on a variety of evidence-based programs registries including NREPP.
Evaluation studies demonstrate that YMD:
- reduces pro-drug attitudes
- reduces intentions to use drugs
- increases ability to resist pressure to use
- Evaluation studies demonstrate that YMD
- changes adolescent drug use norms
- increases personal efficacy to critically counter media influence
To learn more about the 4-H REAL media program, watch this video!
To purchase REAL media go to SHOP 4H
SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) YMD Profile:
National Health Education Standards and 4-H REAL media:
Technical Assistance Contact
Training, Program Information, & Materials Contact:
- Michael Hecht
- REAL Prevention
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org